[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Jul 9 09:29:54 BST 2007

Thanks for the background Frederik, however I really don't think it is
acceptable for us to duck this issue and reading the SA2.0 licence agreement
this morning it seems that a perfectly acceptable and robust legal mechanism
is available within the SA2.0 licence agreement allowing OSMF to publish the
Work on behalf of the community and to define an appropriate Attribution
(even if it cannot get agreement from all copyright holders prior to
publication).

Firstly: does the community want this problem resolved? My company does
because it wishes to use the data, but does the community wish it? And if
the community does then can it agree on a 'practical' wording for each
publishing scenario and can that 'practical' wording be supported by the
licence agreement?:

Proposed wording...

Web presentation:
"(cc) OpenStreetMap, some rights reserved"
With both the phrases 'OpenStreetMap' and 'Some Rights reserved' linked to
appropriate places on the OSM website.

Paper presentation:
"(cc) www.openstreetmap.org some rights reserved"
Or
"(cc) www.openstreetmap.org some rights reserved (CC-BY-SH)"

The OpenStreetMap web site would contain a full list of current copyright
holders who are contributing to the current Planet.osm (real names or
pseudonyms). I believe that this method of publication can be justified as
'reasonable' given the constraints of the medium and the large number of
individual copyright holders.

If this is desired by the community then I propose the following legal
strategy for implementing it:

I note that the Licensor needs to be an 'Individual or Entity' (1f). The
only 'Entity' that comes to mind to publish the whole thing is the OSMF so I
propose that OSMF formally publishes planet.osm as a Collective Work.

OSMF provides License terms (identical CC-BY-SA) for the use and attribution
of this Work (planet.osm) having first used 'reasonable means' to get
agreement from the current active email community to the proposed mechanism
(a combination of a short phrase where OSM data is used and a link back to
the website for full details).

If at the time in the future an individual copyright holder complains about
the arrangement  then OSMF will have the choice to either accommodating that
person's wishes or removing that persons Work from the Collective Work 'to
the extent practicable' (4a). In practice this could be interpreted as
meaning removing that individuals Work from future releases of the
Planet.osm.

Regarding liability, OSMF will receive significant protection from
subsequent litigation from clause 5, however it should probably have some
legal insurance anyway if this is possible. To quote Clause 5 'UNLESS
OTHERWISE AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK
AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE
MATERIALS, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT
LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS,
ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH
EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU."

Regards,

Peter