[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Attribution

Tue Jul 10 10:03:21 BST 2007

Peter Miller wrote:

> Paper map/visualisation:
> either
> "(cc) www.openstreetmap.org some rights reserved"
> Or
> "(cc) www.openstreetmap.org some rights reserved (CC-BY-SA)"
> Font size 8 point or larger.

Wuh? We're specifying a universal font size for all media? Why not
specify the typeface, the colour, and an angle of 23 degrees to the
horizontal while we're at it?

The CC-BY-SA legal code actually says:

- "You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for,
this License"

- "You must... give the Original Author credit reasonable to the
medium or means You are utilizing by conveying the name (or pseudonym
if applicable) of the Original Author if supplied; the title of the
Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform
Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated
with the Work, unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice
or licensing information for the Work; and in the case of a Derivative
Work, a credit identifying the use of the Work in the Derivative Work
(e.g., "French translation of the Work by Original Author," or
"Screenplay based on original Work by Original Author").

- "Such credit may be implemented in any reasonable manner;
provided... such credit will appear where any other comparable
authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as
such other comparable authorship credit."

That seems plenty clear enough to me - there's no point us trying to
rewrite it, we just need to specify our name and URI, and the URI of
the licence.

I'd echo Tom Chance's comment (on legal-talk) that "some rights
reserved" isn't really very helpful: it's better to actually say
CC-BY-SA.

If I wanted to use OSM maps in the magazine I edit, I'd suggest the
best form of attribution would be a standard-sized ("in a manner at
least as prominent") picture credit of "data from
www.openstreetmap.org, CC-BY-SA licence", and a paragraph in the
"flannel panel" explaining in friendly language what Creative Commons
licences are and how you can find out more, including the URL of the
full licence.

legal-talk cc:ed again.

cheers
Richard