[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Tue Jul 10 13:58:44 BST 2007

Quoting Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:

> Agreed, 'Some rights reserved' is not every precise and 'CC-BY-SA' gives
> more information to the informed reader in the same text length.
>
> "data from www.openstreetmap.org, CC-BY-SA licence" makes a lot of sense. I
> assume this text would be linked to the OSM site and Creative Commons
> licence page respectively when used on a web site.

Make sure to include the licence version (e.g. CC-BY-SA-2.5). It's
probably easiest to link to the licence URL at Creative Commons, which
gives the version number as part of the address and explains the
acronym.

It might be worth making a static "Licence" page on the osm site to
handle licencing and attribution. This would be the URL mentioned by
the licence.

So you could just say:

Map licence, see: http://www.openstreetmap.org/licence

One thing that is worth considering is how to handle CC Licence
upgrades. The "upgrade clause" in the BY_SA covers only derivative
works. You could argue that an updated version of the OSM database is
a derivative, in which case this would make it possible to upgrade the
licence as soon as someone added some extra data, but IANAL so I'm not
sure about this.

- Rob.