[OSM-legal-talk] Results from license debate - assing (c) to OSMF

Tue Jul 17 16:50:10 BST 2007

Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Recently a lot of energy has gone into the tiles at home project
> because people feel alienated by Steve's & Nick's central control
> over the servers for the main service (mapnik layer).

[16:47] RichardF: wuh? on legal-talk Lars has just posted "Recently a
lot of energy has gone into the tiles at home project because people feel
alienated by Steve's & Nick's central control over the servers for the
main service (mapnik layer)." is that _really_ the case?
[16:48] deelkar: RichardF: As a major contributor to t at h I can assure
you that's not the case (at least for me)
[16:48] RichardF: I thought people did t at h because they enjoyed t at h,
but maybe I'm missing the point
[16:48] RichardF: deelkar:  that's good
[16:48] yann2 joined the chat room.
[16:48] Blackadder: RichardF: nah, thats hot air
[16:48] deelkar: (and that's both software and rendering power)
[16:48] Dshpak: As an extremely minor contributor, I can say it's also
not the case for me
[16:49] chrisF: I thought that it was as a way to provide "instant"
feedback to Editors....
[16:49] Blackadder: Its just evolved as a cool way of using Osmarender
thats easily hackable
[16:50] chrisF: Also having 2 renderer's available will help speed up
improvements om the renderer's....
[16:50] deelkar: while mapnik is a little faster per tile tiles at home
is more flexible
[16:50] Dshpak: I like it because I can experiment: Make some changes,
see what it looks like, make changes again...and it's honestly easier
(and more satisfying) to render with t at h and upload tiles than it is
to fiddle with Osma locally.
[16:50] Dshpak: (and then of course there's Maplint, which is great.)
[16:51] deelkar: there's a sort of friendly competition between the 2

cheers
Richard