[OSM-legal-talk] Results from license debate - assing (c) to OSMF

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Jul 17 21:44:19 BST 2007

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I used "giving money" as an example but if you prefer you could
> also think about someone who has mapped half of London for the
> project and now wants to make a printed mash-up with non-free
> data.

That's a perfectly fine argument.  It's just that the money issue
is perhaps even more of a sore toe to step on than the licensing
issue itself.  We just saw the money issue surface a few weeks ago
with the (now removed) Mappam ads.

Perhaps related to PD is an event reported yesterday on Slashdot:
There is a new version of the Open Library website.  With this
version (found on http://demo.openlibrary.org) the project has
redefined itself as a global free library catalog.  (Before it
used to be a display website for out-of-copyright books scanned by
the Open Content Alliance.)  It's not spelled out in clear, but
the website seems to assume that book metadata (library catalogs)
should be public domain.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)