[OSM-legal-talk] Rules for the foundation to hold data assigned to it under

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 00:32:40 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> >> PD data will always be free
> >
> > It's trivial to convert PD data to restrictively-licensed data.
>
> That doesn't make the original PD data any less free.
>
> > How many people make their own geodata public domain just so they can
> > contribute it to the TIGER dataset?
>
> Can one contribute to TIGER? I always thought this was a
> government-published thing and contributions were about as welcome as my
> own essays for the CIA world fact book.
>
> > How many just take the TIGER dataset, make a few mods, and sell it with
> > restrictive license?
>
> As far as I am aware, many companies are doing just that (creating
> something restricted, derived from TIGER, and sell it), while at the
> same time TIGER data is a valuable basis for free software (e.g.
> roadnav.sf.net).
>
> So what point are you trying to make? Has someone sued roadnav.sf.net
> for using TIGER data, or what?

The point is that TIGER does not have a community caring for it.  OSM *is* a
community that cares for its data.

If all OSM data is placed in the public domain then there is a risk that the
community will fade away.  The OSM dataset could become just like the TIGER
dataset.

We need to be very careful not to do something that would destroy the
community.

80n

Bye