[OSM-legal-talk] Rules for the foundation to hold data assigned to it under

Sat Jul 21 09:55:08 BST 2007

80n wrote:

> The point is that TIGER does not have a community caring for it.
> OSM *is* a community that cares for its data.

I was a bit perplexed by this point at SOTM and I'm still a bit
perplexed (admittedly, I am easily perplexed).

There's no community creating free geodata in the States because
there's no need for one. TIGER is complete, free, and regularly
updated. By the same token, OSM wouldn't exist in this form if OS
Mastermap was free for download.

There is, however, a very active US community doing things with
geodata - think geowanking, WhereCamp, Burning Man. Were TIGER
published in a slightly saner format (as, in fact, it's starting to
be) I'm sure that an American Etienne would have written Tigerender.

But licences don't really come into it, as far as I can see.

cheers
Richard