[OSM-legal-talk] Rules for the foundation to hold data assigned to it under

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 12:28:50 BST 2007

On Friday 20 July 2007 23:28, you wrote:
> >> PD data will always be free
> >
> > It's trivial to convert PD data to restrictively-licensed data.
>
> That doesn't make the original PD data any less free.

It means that contributors are rewarded for making restrictively-licensed
changes to the map (by getting exclusive rights to a map which is better than
the PD map they started with), and that contributors are not rewarded for
making freely-copiable changes to the map (other people just rip-off their
work and sell it without giving anything back)

It means that the latest copy of the map is not necessarily available for you
to use.

You just have to pay to host the out-of-date "public domain" version from
before people started adding their cool proprietary stuff to the map.

It makes it very rewarding for sombody to make a restrictively-licensed fork
of the project, attracting the community of contributors to their project
(and away from OSM), e.g. with the promise of extra features that are only
available in the proprietary version.

Those "extra features" could even be as simple as an advertising campaign and
the backing of a well-known company.  Suddenly the general public knows that
they can play with this "nearly free" (proprietary) project containing all
our footpaths etc, and never know the existance of original project, nor
understand why they might want to contribute freely-copiable data.