[OSM-legal-talk] Rules for the foundation to hold data assigned to it under

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 23:37:17 BST 2007

Richard
There is a very short article written last September by David A Wheeler
titled "why the GPL rocketed Linux to success":

http://www.dwheeler.com/blog/2006/09/01/#gpl-bsd

To me this is one of the most likely explanations for OSM's dramatic growth
and success.  If OSM had been a public domain licensed project then I don't
believe that we would be where we are now.  To take one example, the
People's Map (www.peoplesmap.com), would now have all our mapping data for
the whole of London, instead of just a few major roads.  I don't see them
planning to put any of the data they collect into OSM or the public domain.

I'm not sure that AND would have donated their data to OSM if we were using
a PD license.  That would be the equivalent of giving their data to Navteq
and TeleAtlas on a plate.  Because they have made their data available under
CC-BY-SA their competitors can still have and use the data but cannot do so
in a way that would put AND at a disadvantage.

80n