[OSM-legal-talk] Do I have copyright on data I upload?

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org
Mon Jul 23 12:08:43 BST 2007

El Monday 23 July 2007 12:51:07 Alilo escribió:
> I would like to know if I retain the copyright on the data that I
> upload to OSM server ?
>
> Can I give it to other project? resell it with my conditions?

Short answer: Yes, yes, yes.

Long answer:
Remember that, when uploading data to OSM, you are licensing it under a
creativecommons license, which is non-exclusive. The key here
is "non-exclusive": you retain all rights over your work.

The guys at creativecommons.org explain a lot better:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Can_I_still_make_money_from_a_work_I_make_available_under_a_Creative_Commons_licenses.3F

So, yes, you can dual-license your work. The only thing you have to keep in
mind is: do not license your work under any exclusive license.

BTW, have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_license

Hope that helps,
--