[OSM-legal-talk] OTish: Open Street Map for Free The Postcode

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:09:57 BST 2007

I was advised [1] on talk at openstreetmap.org to ask here.

My question relates to populating "Free The Postcode" (FTP) using data
derived from "Open Street Map" (OSM).

If I use Google/Yahoo/Live web search to find the website for some place I know:

http://www.google.com/search?q=house+of+commons

Then use the website for that place to get their postcode:

http://www.parliament.uk/useful/address.cfm
-> SW1A 0AA

Assuming I know where that venue is, and open street map is detailed
enough for me to find it

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=51.49957360415806&lon=-0.12480873446148448&zoom=16&layers=B000F000

this tells me the Lat/Lng should be 51.49957, -0.12480

Is that Okay / Fair Use for FTP?

If I've understood the replies on talk@, then because OSM is CC-BY-SA
[2], I cannot use it to derive data which I then put into the public
domain (FTP).

Yes/No/Anything I can do to improve that?

[1] Original thread on talk@
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-July/016446.html

[2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/