[OSM-legal-talk] The big license debate

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Mar 2 00:31:37 GMT 2007

Hi,

>> But coming back to above "asking all users" - I am 99% sure that our
>> current license will not work for us much longer.
>
> Can you please elaborate on this near certainty?  It seems important.

Please don't make fun of me. As if I'm not already busy enough
elaborating on all sorts of things ;-)

I believe you have followed the discussion on talk about ITN possibly
using our Baghdad map? It turned out in the end that it would have been
more than they could use anyway, but that didn't keep people from
discussing the issue. During that discussion, several things were
brought up - I read them for the first time but from others' reactions I
gathered that that kind of discussion seems to be recurrent.

There was uncertainty over the attribution policy. Technically, the
license demands that all contributors be listed "if practical" (or a
similar wording). It turned out that listing all contributors is (a)
currently impossible without direct database access, and (b) perhaps
not even allowed due to UK data protection requirements, and (c) will
probably, in the near future at least, become a major space problem not
only for TV screens but for many kinds of media.

So there's one reason why the license might not work as it stands;
someone said newer versions of the license do have a clause whereby
contributors can transfer their right to be identified to a common body,
but this is not in our 2.0 version and AFAIK there is no automatic
upgrade path.

Regarding license upgrades, one of the insiders wrote about plans to be
able to "throw a switch" on your user page to make your identity known,
and another switch to transfer your right to attribution to the
foundation. (I think it was SteveC.) This means that the fact that we're
currently violating our own license is well-known and worked upon. But
as far as I can see, CC-BY-SA 2.0 does not provide the option of
transferring your right to attribution, so we must at the very least
upgrade to 2.5 by that "flick of the switch", and it is unclear what
happens to data contributed by those who don't flick the switch.

Then, there has been a lot of discussion about how the current
"share-alike" is really not what even the share-alike advocates want,
because it does not ensure sharing of data, only sharing of finished
products. In my often-cited example of the little guy creating a printed
atlas from OSM data, we currently force him to make his atlas copyable
(thus ruining his business model, while at the same time getting
absolutely nothing back into OSM because we don't do scanned atlases)
instead of having a "share-data" license that would allow him to
copyright his atlas but force him to give the data back to us.

It has also been pointed out, and I agree with that sentiment, that our
current license is not really compatible with the goals stated on the
web site, at least not with the spirit conferred by the words.

Many people have said that, while being the nearest that the copyleft
license mass-market has to offer, current CC licenses are unsuitable for
collections of data like the one we're building. Numerous other licenses
risen from that problem have been cited (I believe one was for data
about books in libraries, the other for a font).

A large number of grey areas have been identified, most revolving around
the question what constitutes a derived work. Discussion on the list has
very clearly shown that even die-hard SA activists seem to think in
terms of "attempting to get away with something", instead of having
positive legal guidance on what is ok and what not. While acceptable for
an individual (it's what I do in everyday life!), such insecurity will
hinder widespread commercial use.

But do I really have to repeat all this? It is in the Wiki, it is in the
archives. Am I seeing ghosts? A panel of lawyers and legal laymen is to
be summoned for this year's SOTM, and I shall hope this is not just
figleaf action ("please find ways to make everything right without
changing our license!").

Bye
Frederik