[OSM-legal-talk] The big license debate

Fri Mar 2 10:05:24 GMT 2007

OJW wrote:

> Really, it's all very well people saying "I want you to give me all your
> dataset work without restriction, but I expect to have full copyright
> protection on the artistic work I create from it".  But they can't seriously
> expect that kind of hoarding to be endorsed by a sharealike project like OSM.

Although one suggestion is:
s/full copyright protection on the artistic work
  /copyright protection on the artistic portion only/

Further clarification: OSM is a mapping project with a sharealike
licence, not a sharealike project.

> [...]
> To the people who want OSM data as an input to their proprietary commercial
> products, you need to start calculating the cost of time we've spent
> collecting that data, to realise what you're asking for.

a) Why?
b) Who is "we"?
c) Have you calculated the amount of data OSM is missing out on
because of its current licence? For example, I have full tracings of
the UK waterways network. If OSM had a share-data licence, or was PD,
it would have this data by now.

cheers
Richard