[OSM-legal-talk] The big license debate

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Fri Mar 2 11:17:29 GMT 2007

Quoting Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemeD.net>:

> Lars Aronsson wrote:
>
>> Sorry, this is not convincing.  Have you heard of the Gnu
>> Manifesto?  Have you followed the 20 years of discussion between
>> GNU/Linux and BSD software developers?  You make it sound as if we
>> were here to define "freedom" for the first time.  We're not.
>
> Actually, we _are_ here to define free data for the first time.

OKFN and Talis have both done work in this area so we are not the first.

Stallman and others in the Free Software movement have considered
subjects other
than executable programs in depth. I don't agree with all of their conclusions
(especially Stallman on art ;-) ) but they are relevent.

> People
> trying unthinkingly to apply the precepts of free software and
> creative works is part of the reason we find ourselves in such a mess.

We do not find ourselves in a mess. OSM is a spectacularly successful project.

What we do find are some issues that need legal clarification. It is good that
these are being uncovered, and hopefully getting legal advice will help
to sort
this out.

- Rob.