[OSM-legal-talk] CC-BY-SA for source data, other license for rendered derivatives

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Mar 6 20:24:32 GMT 2007

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> If someone bought proprietary data about, say, air pollution, with
>> the right to create and publish maps from it but not the right to
>> distribute the data, then a requirement like the one you sketched
>> above would make it impossible for him to draw air pollution data
>> onto OSM data and publish the resulting images, because that would
>> force him to publish the air pollution data and he's not allowed to
>> do that.
>
> Well, personally, as you know, I agree 100% with you. The situation
> you describe is the one that exists at present and I think it's a
> shame. But I'm not very optimistic that we could get agreement to
> change this from the rest of the OSM community.

???

First, the assumption that plotting points on a map is a derivative work
is one I question. If the points are sourced from GPS or something, then
you already know the lat/lon of the points. You're not making a
derivative in just overlaying some dots. In fact, one legal off the
record opinion I got said that deriving a point wasn't a derivative work
either as you were deriving a fact. IMHO IANAL IANAC.

Nick can this be a Q to the lawyer(s)?

Second you don't have to release the data you have to let me copy the
entire map CC-BY-SA. You don't have to give me the illustrator file you
made or whatever.

have fun,