[OSM-legal-talk] moving up the stack

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Wed Mar 7 13:45:34 GMT 2007

Richard,

I think you need to be making the argument. I don't understand why you
feel that funding your retirement should be a primary goal of OSM. If
you want to make commercial maps, then there are commercial sources of
data.

I, and I assume most other people, joined OSM, because I value freedom,
and wish to foster the development/creation of free data and free uses
of that data. The priority of OSM should always be freedom first. A
compromise between commerce and freedom will not IMHO benefit the cause
of freedom.

Somebody commented to me recently that they were put off getting
involved with OSM because it seemed to them that whole thing had been
devised by Steve as a way to make a heap of money from other peoples'
effort.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem whatsoever with people making
money directly or indirectly from OSM, but the focus of OSM should be
the protection of the freedom, not the protection of your ability to
make a quick buck.

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com