[OSM-legal-talk] moving up the stack

Wed Mar 7 16:11:39 GMT 2007

Rob Myers wrote:

> What would your proposed use add to OSM? And what would it produce that
> someone couldn't simply reproduce from the same data and charge less for
> than your version?

What would it add? Well, data, I'd hope, if there were a share-alike
data licence. On the second question:

> The art is a rendering of the data, cannot be made without it, and
> contains its information.

Yes.

> It basically is data

No.

Seriously, Rob, I really do not understand why you, as someone who
describes himself as an artist, are saying that. I'm drawing a big,
big map at the moment (no, not with OSM data!). It is, I think, both
attractive and useful by virtue of the styles I've chosen. I've made a
lot of artistic choices, just as I would if I were doing something
that only claimed to be art and not a map. Someone else drawing a map
from the same data would come up with an entirely different piece of
art entirely.

(Indeed, several years ago, I _did_ draw a map of exactly the same
thing and it was a whole heap of no good - I've learned a lot about
cartography since then.)

Are you really saying that, despite all this, the map is only data?

Richard