[OSM-legal-talk] Is the "data share-alike" road navigable?

Thu Mar 8 14:11:17 GMT 2007

SteveC wrote:

> rigghhtt... but wouldn't demanding the illustrator file conflict with
> what you want?

It'd be up to us to decide whether .ai would be an acceptable format,
and we may not think it is. But if we did, the share-alike provisions
relate to the data. So you could post a .ai of the raw lines (and
anything else "data-like") with the styling removed.

> Positing that .osm would be acceptable, how would you go about getting
> from illustrator to .osm?

Personally I use a Perl script - pretty easy, Illustrator files
pre-v10 are text. (I've done this in the past for Illustrator->db
stuff; the waterway lines at Waterscape's overview scales were
simplified using Illustrator.)

Other people might use a plug-in like MAPublisher to export as a
common geo format, and if necessary convert to .osm from there. (Their
brochure cites SHP, e00, GEN, MID/MIF, TAB, DGN, DXF, DWG, PDF, EPS,
AI, SVG, GeoTIFF!)

Again, it's up to us what OSM requires, it's up to the cartographer to comply.

cheers
Richard