[OSM-legal-talk] Is the "data share-alike" road navigable?

Fri Mar 9 09:36:18 GMT 2007

Mike Collinson wrote:

> I think this only works for the cottage cartographer?
>
> As I understand, this is  varying the original proposal as follows:
>
> 1. Database of GPS traces - public domain, possibly with a license
> to get around EU database rights to achieve the same effect
>
> 2. Database of nodes, etc. - share-alike licensed
>
> 3. Maps produced from data - up to the creator (proprietary, share-
> alike, whatever), but you must release the source material used
> back under the same database license above.

That's accurate, yes. Otherwise it's not really share-alike and you
might as well put OSM under an attribution licence (which would make
me happy, but not some others!).

But I think with many of the examples you give, we're really talking
about Imi's generally accepted 'layer' clarification/exemption again
(2.2 in the wiki legal FAQ), which says that you can overlay a non-
share-alike layer on a share-alike OSM map.

AIUI this relies on the difference between a "derivative work", which
has to be shared-alike under our current licence; and a "collective
work", which doesn't. IMO the licence doesn't make explicit that
layers are collective rather than derivative, and even if we stick
with CC-BY-SA we should find some failsafe way of ensuring the will
of the community is backed by the licence text.

To take them one by one:

> For someone whose value add is making good maps, it works providing
> they are not using other licensed data or a client's private data.
>
> For the Reading University case (sorry I forget your name) it only
> partially works.  Creating/enhancing the base OSM Reading street
> data directly makes sense for everyone.  But if the client has to
> be persuaded to give up extra private data, it is probably easier
> just to use commercial data as a base.

Yes, true. AIUI Tom wouldn't object to this anyway as a share-alike
advocate.

At some point, assuming that certain other data _can't_ be shared
(e.g. OS), the cartographer has to make a judgement call as to
whether it's better just to buy in OS data, or to use OSM data and
fill in the missing 20% him/herself. When the latter becomes more
attractive, we've won - share-alike has given us a big chunk of new
data.

> For ITN, it doesn't work if they combined any Google data because
> ITN cannot release that source material.

Under the current licence, the ITN use can only work given Imi's
layer clarification. Given that a Google satellite background is in
some ways distinct from OSM data superimposed on it, you _might_ be
able to say they're different layers. But probably not: a video
presentation is a "flattened" image, the layers can't be extracted
individually.

Under a putative share-data licence, though, it's actually easier. We
put the OSM database of nodes/segments/ways (Tom's item 2) under
share-alike. Anything added to that has to be shared-alike. But a
satellite backdrop isn't anything like nodes/segments/ways, so -
depending how tightly we draw the licence - we may not need to
require that it is shared.

> For Nestoria, http://www.nestoria.co.uk/cowes/property/buy , it
> does not work because they have to release all their property
> listing information displayed on their map to competitors for free.

Imi's layer clarification again. :)

> For Multimap, http://www.multimap.com, I don't know how they are
> using OSM data. Would someone clarify?

I believe they're considering using it as a "community map" layer.
Depending how this is implemented, it's either aok anyway, or relies
on Imi's layer clarification.

cheers
Richard