[OSM-legal-talk] Share-data licence

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sat Mar 10 04:00:31 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 06:22:12PM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> So the whole discussion is moot, and our data is un-copyrightable?
> Sounds great. (Albeit the clever way in which I put the nodes when
> mapping that roundabout recently... I'd say it was almost artistic...)

The prevailing legal opinion -- at least in the US -- is "Yes". Map
databases are sets of facts. Facts are not copyrightable.

> Alas... I think I remember that the Ordnance Survey seem to take a
> different stance as regards their own data?

Yes. The OS is also famously litigious and has lots of lawyers who are
presumably paid lots of money to throw enough smoke and mirrors around
problems that they can get away with this ;) To be slightly less glib,
you can claim anything -- and sometimes you can even get a judge to
agree with you, if you're good enough. I don't think the OS's claims on
copyrightability of map databases has been tested in court yes.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer