[OSM-legal-talk] Share-data licence

Tue Mar 13 14:48:34 GMT 2007

Gah, I got so caught up with my own cleverness in maybe almost
slightly understanding some Heavy Legal Stuff that I forgot to add the
useful bit:

> Effectively database right doesn't give protection to "underlying
> materials" (the facts which we record through surveying work), just to
> the databaseness of it all, and even then only in some circumstances.

...which means we're back to individual national laws.

It looks likely that OSM data can be copyrighted in the UK; but can't
be copyrighted in, say, the Netherlands (as well as the US and
Australia). Where does that leave us?

cheers
Richard