[OSM-legal-talk] Putting example satellite images in our Wiki

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 21 19:32:09 GMT 2007

Hi,

> There might be some aerial photos available under free licenses, although
> these won't be correlated with any map data...
>
> http://flickr.com/search/?q=interchange+aerial&l=cc

Some of those are very obviously just screenshots of Google aerial
images. Looks fishy to me.

> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Road_junctions

Hm. Some of these carry the remark: "Aerial view from USGS Urban Areas
image database. Composed using NASA World Wind. ... This image is in the
public domain because it contains materials that originally came from
the United States Geological Survey"

The USGS Urban Areas data is avilable from seamless.usgs.gov, in 0.3 to
0.75 metre resolution. (It was difficult to find - most Google hits are
for terraserver etc. and they're not free.)

On the USGS site, I find that: "Most U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
information resides in the public domain and may be used without
restriction."

So I'll just browse along the East Coast to find some European-looking
examples ;-)

Thanks for the pointer.