[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Uploading Data in New Zealand

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Wed Nov 14 10:31:20 GMT 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 7:39 PM,  <mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com> wrote:

> We've got together a few people down here in New Zealand and we're looking
> to contribute to OSM. We've got access to loads of data from Land
> Information New Zealand (LINZ) which is provided free without restriction
> under crown copyright here in NZ.

That sounds great, but you might need to check the legal situation on
attribution of the data, which they do still require ("The material
may be used, copied and re-distributed free of charge in any format or
media. Where the material is redistributed to others the source and
copyright status must be acknowledged.").

The situation is very similar in Canada, and was discussed earlier in
the year [1] so it may be worth reading back through those mailings
and getting in touch with people who were working on that. See also
the note at the end of the WikiProject Canada wiki page [2].

[1] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2007-April/000308.html
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Canada#Canada_Datasources

Cheers,
Dan