[OSM-legal-talk] Talk tonight...

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 14 16:21:23 GMT 2007

Hi,

> So if I have a piece of paper, with a OSM map of London at the top,
> and a paragraph about Lodon from wikipedia at the bottom, that breaks
> something even if I put the respective licenses on them?

In my view, if you successfully claim your piece of paper is a
collected work, then you're fine. If it is a derived work, then it
has to have CC-BY-SA and FDL licensing, exclusively, at the same
time, which is impossible at least in the standard Western European
(sober) state of mind.

Your example might work because it could be argued to be collected
rather than derived. But if you, say, printed biography information
from Wikiepdia along streets that carry the names of famous people,
you'd definietly be in the derived terrain, and for me this would be
a clear legal no-go because your work cannot fulfil the "infection"
terms of both licenses at the same time.

Bye
Frederik