[OSM-legal-talk] Talk tonight...

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Nov 15 12:22:20 GMT 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:54:20 +0000
> From: rob at robmyers.org
> Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Talk tonight...
> To: legal-talk at openstreetmap.org
>
> Quoting Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com>:
>
> > So if I have a piece of paper, with a OSM map of London at the top,
> > and a paragraph about Lodon from wikipedia at the bottom, that breaks
> > something even if I put the respective licenses on them?
>
> Under BY-SA, no.
>
> Under the FDL, yes.
>
> Welcome to the whacky world of incompatible but equally valid
> interpretations of American copyright law by different licence authors.

If you open a book you will see '(c) author' at the start of the book, and
then though the book you will find photos '(c) someone else' and possibly
even maps with '(c) Crown' or '(c) Bartholomew's'.

I suggest you do the same. If you are quoting from wikipedia and OSM I
suggest you either acknowledge these at the bottom of the article or
presentation with a phrase such as 'maps (cc-by-sa) OpenStreetMap' and
'additional content FDL wikipedia'. Alternatively you could acknowledge the
maps under each map.

Either way, your work is a collective work and the same licence does not
need to apply to every element. (CC BY SA) allows you to claim copyright to
the final article, and you only need to release the maps by CC-BY-SA.

Needless to say IANAL but I am working with Richard and the OSMF to try and
get a lawyer to say something definitive on the subject but in the mean time
lets not make it more complicated than it needs to be!

Peter