[OSM-legal-talk] OSMF - OSM usage guidelines

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 10:49:14 GMT 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 10:42 AM, Steve Coast <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> One of the results of yesterdays OSMF board meeting is that the board
> feel it would be useful to have some guidelines for users about
> interacting with OSM, and things that should be discouraged.
> Specifically, some things to think about whether good or bad:
>
> * Copying data from copyrighted maps
> * Comparing OSM to copyrighted print maps
> * Comparing to copyrighted online maps (side by side, or on top)\

Could the Foundation point us at some reasons why we shouldn't do these three?

> * Copying data which is derived (copyrighted map says pub on X street,
> add it to OSM)

No brainer.

> * Asking people living on a street what its name is when there is no
> road sign.

I'm guessing this is so that hoards of OSM people don't start door
knocking, which I believe is illegal without a permit in the UK.  Or
is this because the person you ask might be quoting for a copyrighted
source?

These guidelines aren't very useful without some explanation of what
they are trying to achieve.

> Things like that. Please discuss on legal-talk and help put something
> together:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Guidelines
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC | steve at asklater.com | http://www.asklater.com/steve/