[OSM-legal-talk] street names on reprints of old maps

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 11:02:15 GMT 2007

Regardless of the legal position, I was surprised when I looked at a 100
year old map of my area.  Many of the street names had changed over that
time.  Some changes were subtle, Baker's Street had become Baker Street, but
others were dramatic, The Grange became Queens Road (I assume she must have
passed through once upon a time).

So even if you could legally copy the street names, your map may not give
you the correct current names.

Pragmatically, if a street doesn't have a name sign then maybe the correct
thing is to leave it as an unnamed street.  While surveying recently I came
across a street that had no sign.  There happened to be someone in the
street so I asked them about the name.  They replied "we just know it as the
street without a name".

80n