[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] OSMF - OSM usage guidelines

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 22 23:47:13 GMT 2007

Hi,

Ian Sergeant wrote:
> MegaMapping Inc, is on the verge of losing billions of dollars of revenue,
> and it asks its lawyers to find a way to shut them down.

[...]

 > The details of the suit arrive at OSMF.  Shutdown the OSM servers,
 > hand over all the data which now becomes the property of MegaMapping
 > Inc, or face a crippling law suit backed up by the resources of
 > MegaMapping Inc.

[...]

> The easiest way OSM can steer clear of the possibility ot his happening, is
> for OSM to not use anything produced by MegaMapping Inc, in any way.

It is completely illusory that

1. "not using anything produced by MegaMapping Inc." is possible for the
individual (I might have used a MegaMapping map to get to know my area
when I moved here 10 years ago, and this will influence my mapping)

2. "not using anything produced by MegaMapping Inc." is possible for the
project (there will aways be someone who does it - we can discourage it
but never make sure it doesn't happen)

3. "not using anything produced by MegaMapping Inc." could ever make
sure that OSM is *not* at the receiving end of a crippling law suit.

Bye
Frederik