[OSM-legal-talk] Oxford University use without attribution

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Mon Oct 22 12:22:27 BST 2007

  Oxford University's new website launched this morning.  Some of us
  noted that they are using OSM data (in fact, pulling tiles straight
  off the tile server) without attribution.  Was this cleared in any
  way, or are they just abusing the free nature of OSM?

  http://www.ox.ac.uk/applications/dynamic/map.rm?postcode=OX2+6UD&location=Wolfson%20College&id=490

  Should we be flattered that the Oxford data is considered good
  enough to use and let it go, or should we try to get them attribute
  in some way?  Posted to legal because of the copyright violation,
  and crossposted to talk because there may be bandwidth implications
  for tile.openstreetmap.org.

  In my juvenile manner, I'd be tempted to serve something other than
  the requested tile if the referrer is www.ox.ac.uk - but perhaps it
  would be best to be grownup and try to come to a proper
  arrangement.