[OSM-legal-talk] Merano Italy will be donating their data! CC-by-SA and donated data?

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Tue Oct 30 11:44:02 GMT 2007

Quoting Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>:

> Obviously imported data sets are a special case, but in general I think
> the preferred solution should be some way in which the attribution can
> be to the project rather than hundreds or thousands of individuals.

This is possible with the 2.5 licence and above and should definitely be used.

BY-SA 2.5 4c:

"If you distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
digitally perform the Work or any Derivative Works or Collective
Works, You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and
provide, reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing: (i) the
name of the Original Author (or pseudonym, if applicable) if supplied,
and/or (ii) if the Original Author and/or Licensor designate another
party or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity,
journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice"

Derivatives of BY-SA works can use later licences, so OSM could update
to 3.0 or 3.1 whenever more data is added (in theory. IANAL).

- Rob.