[OSM-legal-talk] Fwd: [ORG-discuss] Open Data Commons draft licence

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Sep 25 07:06:48 BST 2007

FYI...

Subject: [ORG-discuss] Open Data Commons draft licence
Date: Monday 24 Sep 2007
From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan at opencontentlawyer.com>
To: Open Rights Group open discussion list
<org-discuss at lists.openrightsgroup.org>

All,

I would like to announce the draft Open Data Commons Database
licence.  This is the new name, face, and text of the Talis Community
Licence update that I may have mentioned in an earlier email. A
special thanks to Talis for sponsoring the update.

It is an attempt at a worldwide licence for data.  In Creative
Commons terms it is an SA licence.

The blog post announcing its release is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/2007/09/24/open-data-commons-licence-
now-out/
Or try: http://tinyurl.com/32ekh6

The homepage on my site for information related to the licence is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/

The draft text of the licence itself is located here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/open-database-licence/

Because we separated out the Data from the Database in the licensing,
a supplemental BSD/MIT style licence for the data, intended for
factual information rather than other "contents of databases" is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/open-data-commons-factual-
info-licence/

Finally, though I suspect that we will have a lot to talk about on
this list, I've set up a discuss list specifically for the licence here:
opencontentlawyer.com

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
<http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007>

"The Impact of Free Trade Agreements on Information Technology Based
Business"
<http://ssrn.com/abstract=984864>

The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera