[OSM-legal-talk] Reverse Geocoding

Thu Apr 3 20:25:02 BST 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> What's your opinion? And would it change should the proposed new
> license
> get adopted?

a. It's a bit of a moot point, because CC-BY-SA doesn't force you to
distribute; so if the company generates the invoice and sends it to
their customers, who don't distribute it any further, the matter
doesn't arise.

b. I tend to agree with you that a minuscule extract can't be protected.

c. Under ODL (the proposed licence) you're not really creating a
derivative database - at the very most you're creating an "integrated
experience" - so the sharealike isn't triggered. ODL doesn't really
infect things that aren't data(bases), such as an invoice.

d. To be safe I'd suggest an acknowledgement to OSM somewhere on the
invoice; again, I suspect that b. means you may not even need that,
but it's good practice anyway.

cheers
Richard