[OSM-legal-talk] Is this license acceptable for a source?

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org
Thu Apr 3 22:31:42 BST 2008

El Jueves, 3 de Abril de 2008, Frédéric Brière escribió:
> > Moreover, depending on the canadian law, there is an easy workaround for
> > this license: you're explicitly granted all rights over any modifications
> > of the data. In certain jurisdictions, just converting the data to
> > another format is a modification. Do the math.
>
> Yeah, that *is* weird.  I wonder if their lawyers intended to say that.

This is common with all attribution-only licenses. Say, BSD and CC-by also
have this "loophole".

In order to retain the attribution, the most common way is to enforce the
application of the same kind of license. Think CC-by-sa and GPL.

And no, the lawyers didn't intend to say that. They want you too keep the
attribution notices intact, of course. As I'm no expert on canadian copyright
law, the safest thing to do, of course, is to keep the attribution intact.

--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org>

Q:	Why is it that Mexico isn't sending anyone to the '84 summer games?