[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] linz dataset for nz - attribution methods summary

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:10:39 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Stephen Gower <
socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:48:18PM +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
> >
> > if we are going to have an 'attribution' page on the wiki[1], with the
> > fine print regarding sources of various chunks of data, would a link
> > to it be possible, on the main map page? titled say 'data attribution'
> > or 'data sources'?
>
>   Have you got a definition of "main map page"?  If the cycle map
>  became more popular than the main site (generally, or in NZ) would
>  the agreement you're after force its admins to add links?  Or on
>  the other side, if you specify "on www.openstreetmap.org" what if
>  the project renames?

Actually *every* published map that uses OSM data, including OSM's own maps
must satisfy the attribution requirement.  That's what the BY clause in the
CC-BY-SA means.

Anyone publishing OSM data must provide attribution: "You must attribute the
work in the manner specified by the author or licensor" is what Creative
Commons actually says.  The attribution page on the wiki at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Attribution would seem like a simple
and convenient way of achieving this.

80n