[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:19:15 BST 2008

Up to now there has not been any official guidance on how to comply with the
attribution clause of our CC-BY-SA license.   This means that people either
try to do something that they hope is acceptable or they do nothing.  Some
of OSM's own outputs fall into the latter category (for example, the API and
the planet dump) which sets a bad example for others.

At the very least we should be providing advice and guidance on how users of
the data can comply with the attribution requirement when they publish OSM
data.

I'd like to propose that we make the following statement:

"If you publish OpenStreetMap data you can satisfy the attribution
requirement of the license by linking to or referencing
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Attribution"

Discuss.

80n