[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Apr 7 13:40:13 BST 2008

In message <8fcd02310804070519o2582871fia9a5f34f4090b0ed at mail.gmail.com>
        80n80n at gmail.com wrote:

> Up to now there has not been any official guidance on how to comply with the
> attribution clause of our CC-BY-SA license.   This means that people either
> try to do something that they hope is acceptable or they do nothing.  Some
> of OSM's own outputs fall into the latter category (for example, the API and
> the planet dump) which sets a bad example for others.
>
> At the very least we should be providing advice and guidance on how users of
> the data can comply with the attribution requirement when they publish OSM
> data.
>
> I'd like to propose that we make the following statement:
>
> "If you publish OpenStreetMap data you can satisfy the attribution
> requirement of the license by linking to or referencing
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Attribution"
>
> Discuss.

I understand the logic of using that URL in terms of wanting to
comply with attribution requirements for any data we import (though
personally I don't think it should be in the wiki for fairly obvious
reasons) but in terms of making the attribution advertise our project
that is not a good URL to use.

I would certainly prefer that people using our data provide a link
to www.openstreetmap.org or the top level wiki index page as that
would do a better job of advertising our project to people that follow
the attribution link, which is surely the whole point of us wanting
attribution.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)