[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Apr 7 14:15:33 BST 2008

At 02:47 PM 4/7/2008, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Hallo,
>
> >    I'd like to propose that we make the following statement:
>
> >    "If you publish OpenStreetMap data you can satisfy the attribution
> >    requirement of the license by linking to or referencing
> >    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Attribution"
>
>But you are aware of the fact that it is not this mailing list, or the
>foundation, or the majority of mappers, that can make such a statement
>- it would have to be made by every single licensor.
>
>OpenStreetMap, as a project, is not in the legal position to take away
>the individual mapper's right to specify the kind of attribution *he*
>wants.
>
>I'm not saying this is good, or your idea is bad, I'm just saying I
>think it is unworkable with the current license.

Any individual licensor should have the right to add their own
personal attribution to the same page *if* they choose and using
wording they want. If that results in huge amounts of attributions,
then we can use page as an A to Z or some such when the time comes.

That must be the nearest and only practical way of meeting "You must
attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor
(but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use
of the work)."

Other than that, well, I think we both share the same opinion that
the current license is just unworkable full stop! :-)

Mike