[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 14:24:57 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> >    I'd like to propose that we make the following statement:
>
> >    "If you publish OpenStreetMap data you can satisfy the attribution
> >    requirement of the license by linking to or referencing
> >    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Attribution"
>
> But you are aware of the fact that it is not this mailing list, or the
> foundation, or the majority of mappers, that can make such a statement
> - it would have to be made by every single licensor.

Yes, except that AFAIK nobody has yet requested or required any special
attribution, so they all have what they have asked for.

This statement *goes beyond* what existing contributors have asked for and
provides a way to satisfy other potential contributors, who do have specific
attribution needs.

> OpenStreetMap, as a project, is not in the legal position to take away
> the individual mapper's right to specify the kind of attribution *he*
> wants.

No, we can't take away, but this proposal adds.  We provide a place where
any contributor can add their attribution text, so we are enabling this
right by providing a way for contributors to specify the kind of attribution
they want.