[OSM-legal-talk] Attribution

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Apr 7 14:45:08 BST 2008

In message <8fcd02310804070611u537c75e9pb8a6a27b466ef668 at mail.gmail.com>
        80n80n at gmail.com wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>
>> I would certainly prefer that people using our data provide a link
>> to www.openstreetmap.org or the top level wiki index page as that
>> would do a better job of advertising our project to people that follow
>> the attribution link, which is surely the whole point of us wanting
>> attribution.
>
> The purpose of this is not advertisement of the OSM project.  It is so that
> users can comply with the terms of our license - users of our data have an
> obligation to provide attribution.

The point is that CC-BY-SA allows us to specify a URL that people
must quote as attribution when using our work.

You are trying to use that requirement as a way to ensure that people
link to a page that passes on any nested attribution requirements that
come from data we import.

I would prefer to use that requirement as a way to advertise our
project to people that get works derived from our data.

Trying to achieve both aims is obviously the ultimate goal, but it
is not an easy thing to do.

As Richard says however, it's a bit silly to do anything now when the
license may be changing anyway.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)