[OSM-legal-talk] Adding links / foreign keys to geonames data

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Tue Apr 8 12:13:18 BST 2008

Hi,

I understand that we don't want to wholesale import data from geonames.org
because that data might be tainted with Google copyright [1].

How about adding links from *already existing* OSM objects to geonames
objects? That could be a complete URL to the webservice ([2] for the data
about Antalya) or just the geoname id. The geonames guys told me that the
id should be practically constant.

We also have a GSOC 2008 project [3] that I'd like to mentor that wants to
sync geonames data with OSM.

Regards,
Hakan

[1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Geonames

[2]: http://ws.geonames.org/get?geonameId=323777&style=full

[3]:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/GSoC_Applications_2008#Replication_of_the_Geoname-Database_Veronica_Wendlik

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...