[OSM-legal-talk] Mass import of TeleAtlas data

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:03:01 BST 2008

Brian Quinion wrote:
>Sent: 21 August 2008 2:49 PM
>To: Licensing and other legal discussions.
>Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Mass import of TeleAtlas data
>
>As an aside,
>
>I was unable to find any information / suggestions / procedure
>documented on the wiki as what to do if you suspect someone is copying
>data from a copyright source which means it is left pretty much up to
>each person to decide what to do.
>
>So far the procedure seems to be:
>
>1) Contact the user via their talk page with the evidence.  Be polite
>- you might be wrong or they might have permission.
>
>2) If there is no response (after 5 days) or you are deeply
>unconvinced by the response post your evidence to the legal-talk
>mailing list (or your country specific mailing list if you think this
>would be more appropriate).

I'd recommend an email to secretary at osmfoundation.org before spreading it
about publically. We would rather we dealt with these issues quietly rather
than making a big deal of them. As Frederik pointed out, in some cases it
will be matter of educating the user. We would rather have users conforming
rather than alienated.

Cheers

Andy