[OSM-legal-talk] Mass import of TeleAtlas data

Albertas Agejevas alga at pov.lt
Thu Aug 21 15:29:35 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 03:06:26PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I'm just saying that we should not publicly talk about what someone does
> without at least making an attempt to contact him - FIRST. If he says
> "go away it's none of your business" then you can still go public.

Here's the exchange so far (translated from Lithuanian):

Me (Aug 18 13:07 +0100):
  Hello,

  impressive work on Mažeikiai, Kretinga and Klaipėda.  I
  wonder where is all that data from?  It's really hard to believe
  it's been gathered with a GPS receiver :)

  It's a pity that Šiaurės prospektas in Klaipėda, which I surveyed
  with GPS and have drawn by hand has disappeared.

  Albertas

Him (Aug 18 17:18 +0100):

  Hello.

  We draw by hand.  We don't spoil data, so whatever has been deleted
  will be restored.  Probably it was just imprecise data and it has been
  corrected.

  Have a nice day
  Pranas

I replied twice more, inquiring about the source of their data, and
explaining my suspicions that some outdated map has been imported, but
have not received a reply.

I searched for what to do in this situation in the wiki, then I asked
around on #OpenStreetMap at irc.freenode.net, and some helpfuly guy said
I should bring it up on the mailinglist (he did not specify which) and
ask on the other OSM IRC channel.

Today I found striking evidence of TeleAtlas data, and finally
subscribed to the list and raised my concern.  So here we are.

Albertas