[OSM-legal-talk] Potential datasource with legal problems

Ciprian Talaba cipriantalaba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:06:32 BST 2008

Hello fellow OSMers,

I have discovered some Romanian maps on
http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/catalogue.php?country=184 and I would
like to make sure that I can use them as a datasource for OSM. The FAQ
page on that site says something like:

*Q: What are the maps usage restrictions? Can I modify the downloaded
maps?*
A: Uploading their maps, authors agree that maps will be free to
personal use and free to modify for personal purposes. Authors may
decide to allow some other uses and/or allow to redistribute modified
maps under certain conditions.

I understand that usually we cannot use the information, but in some
cases (I saw maps that are marked as "allowed uses: No restrictions",
see http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?cnt=184&rgn=Erdely&cat=4
for example) we can use the information.

Am I correct in my assumption?

Thanks!
--Ciprian