[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL: Who is the licensor / whose "database"isit?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Dec 11 07:26:02 GMT 2008

On 10 Dec 2008, at 23:33, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Peter Miller wrote:
>> Where is the official input from the foundation to all this?

> Lawyers or laymen, we cannot expect that people come up with
> "official"
> answers to our questions within a day - much less can we assume that
> the
>  Foundation board has coincidentally already provided well-formulated
> answers to arising questions. They're just people like you and me, and
> even though we have talked and thought about the licensing stuff
> forever, we manage to come up with new and unprecedented license
> questions every other day ;-)

All the more reason to discuss this as a group to get the best answer
we can.

This stuff is certainly not easy and we should have a working party to
sort this out not one person and that way we would end up with more
brainpower on the subject. A working party is not a 'free-for-all' but
a consistent group of people who are asked to solve the problem as
best they can within a certain timeframe and have a suitable range of
skills and knowledge.

Given that we don't have that, what I really want as a minimum is for
us to have access to a copy of the current legal text somewhere so we
can review it.  The version on the foundation website is dated April
2008. Surely there is something more current by now.

Btw, if the real message behind your post is that a share-alike
licence will never work and we should all go PD then I don't buy it :)

Peter