[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Progressing OSM to a new data Licence regime

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 4 19:58:36 GMT 2008

Hi,

> > This sounds like a nightmare: I could lose weeks of work because
> > someone who fails to reply played with Potlatch once for a few
> > minutes and then vanished.
>
> You have a better idea? :-)

Well if push comes to shove then in order to have a say about an
element in our database, you would have to have made a contribution
that earns you a copyright. I assume there are contributions too
trivial for that. Just being listed in our history database as someone
who has modified a way is probably not enough for having a copyright
(and the whole CC-BY-SA idea is based on people having copyright).

A trivial example of this is that it is currently possible to be
recorded as having edited a way even if you just upload the same
version again (in JOSM, select multiple objects of which some have a
certain tag and some not; change the "different" in the property
editor to a certain value, and you are recorded as having changed
all of the selected objects even if only some of them changed).

Bye
Frederik