[OSM-legal-talk] Progressing OSM to a new data Licence regime

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Mon Feb 4 21:40:05 GMT 2008

Tom Hughes wrote:
> I think the concept of an explicit requirement to hand back data
> is the part of this plan that I gave most concerns about - it was
> certainly far and away the most problematic clause of the original
> Mozilla license I think, and the whole idea seems to have largely
> vanished since then in most open licenses.

I think your memory may be failing you here.

The MPL version 1.0 had a clause about making source available:

"3.2. Availability of Source Code.
Any Modification which You create or to which You contribute must be
made available in Source Code form under the terms of this License
either on the same media as an Executable version or via an accepted
Electronic Distribution Mechanism to anyone to whom you made an
Executable version available; ..."
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.0.html

and this clause is unchanged in MPL 1.1. The annotated MPL 1.0 says:

"This provision is intended to ensure availability of code, while
minimizing the burden on each Contributor. It is based on the principle
of "code follows the executable" that is found in the GPL. It does not
require that you return Modifications to mozilla.org or any other named
organization. However, you may do so if you choose, and we hope that you
wish to participate in the development community that mozilla.org is
chartered to foster."
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/annotations-1.0.html

However, I agree that an explicit requirement to hand data back to OSM
(as opposed to a requirement to hand data to whoever you give the
derived work to) is problematic. If OSM data were software, this sort of
clause would probably make the licence not conform to the Debian Free
Software Guidelines. It would certainly fail both the Desert Island and
Dissident tests.

Gerv