[OSM-legal-talk] Yahoo satellite imagery in Merkaartor

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Feb 6 16:22:47 GMT 2008

In message <yekr6frsm0d.fsf at dellow.uk.cyberscience.com>
        Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> In message <20080205095902.GC30637 at jafshome.irule.be>
>         bvh <bvh-osm at irule.be> wrote:
>
>> As some may know : merkaartor is an offline editor for OSM, similar
>> in purpose and intent as JOSM.
>>
>> Chris Browet has been working on a patch to add a Yahoo layer to
>> merkaartor and has made great progress lately. So I am considering
>> including his work into the OSM subversion repository and include
>> it in the next release of merkaartor.
>>
>> The wiki is not really clear on offline editors using Yahoo
>> imagery (it states that it is 'likely permitted').
>
> As I understand the situation it is fine, so long as you use one
> of the two Yahoo provided APIs to access it - either the javascript
> one or the flash one.

The code that has just been checked in to add Y! map support
to Merkaartor looks like it is not using the Y! API to access
the maps - it is building tile URLs directly.

As I understand it Yahoo have explicitly said that they don't
want us doing that and that we should only use one of the two
APIs that I mentioned.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)