[OSM-legal-talk] Ordnance data

John Wilbanks wilbanks at creativecommons.org
Wed Feb 20 03:05:33 GMT 2008

------

John - this is ridiculous. Of course we can slap a new license on our
map data to better protect it.

Why do people persist with this notion that maps cannot be copyrighted?
The Ordnance Survey has won a number of court cases.

Aled.

------

Ordnance Survey data carries a "crown copyright" unlike your data. See
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/business/copyright/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_copyright#United_Kingdom

And also note that the existence and assertion of crown copyright is
held to have limited the use and benefits of ordnance survey data
compared to the (public domain) survey data created by the us
government. Again, this is a place where reasonable people may disagree.

*Maps* may indeed be copyrighted. The data that underlies those maps is
probably in the public domain...

jtw