[OSM-legal-talk] Beeing pragmatic

Gervase Markham gerv at gerv.net
Wed Feb 20 09:09:22 GMT 2008

Jochen Topf wrote:
> I am a strong believer in Copyleft. But seeing that I couldn't join the
> OSM data with data from another community project, a local city wiki
> (which is under the CC-BY-SA-NC license and as such incompatible with
> the OSM license) made me think that there is a problem and there must
> be a better way.

CC-BY-SA-NC isn't compatible with PD either, of course...

> and it will take years to resolve that. The discussion and the whole
> process, at best, distracts us and, at worse, keeps us and others from
> doing what we really want to do: Create a great community and the mother
> of all geodata databases and use all that data for cool projects.

Right. So let's pick the license we think does the best available job of
protecting the data in the way that was meant when the project was
started, and worry about court cases when and if they happen.

> Pragmatism means doing what works best without any preconcieved notions.
> Pragmatism means beeing able to change your mind if something doesn't
> work. I changed my mind about the license. Not because I don't think
> that it would be nice to have a Copyleft-type license, but I am trying
> to be pragmatic. And in my opinion that means finding something that
> works *now*, not chasing after something idealistic that might or might
> not arrive.

The license that OSMF is recommending is here, available, now. Let's not
evaluate hypothetical licences, let's evaluate the one we are considering.

Gerv