[OSM-legal-talk] Ordnance data

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Wed Feb 20 10:25:20 GMT 2008

Quoting SteveC <steve at asklater.com>:

> And you believe NavTeq and TeleAtlas are also built on a house of cards?
>
> Are the Nokia and TomTom due diligence people really that stupid?

No, but they are big corporations with expensive lawyers who are good
at drafting impressive-looking EULAs that would be costly to challenge
in court.

They may also be using the DMCA/EUCD if the data is encrypted,
although I don't know whether that would apply to non-copyrightable
data (no-one has ever answered me when I've asked that). And, no, I
don't think OSM should be encrypted and enforce copyleft through DRM
law. ;-)

- Rob.